General Club Events
Web site contents property of The Purdue Women's Club, Inc. All rights reserved, 2011.
Key to website reorganization*
At our annual Spring Luncheon held on April 5, 2012, we celebrated our 90th birthday! Below are some excerpts from the minutes of the first two meetings held back in 1922 that laid the groundwork for who we are today. It was through the efforts of PWC President Karen Michler (2011-12) that we were able to enjoy so much of our club history last year, thereby showing how important it is that our Club has a Historian, someone who will keep tabs on all of our records for future generations. Karen has enthusiastically agreed to be our Historian for this year, and she provided the entries below, taken from the PWC Archives which are now stored at the Purdue Libraries, Virginia Kelly Karnes Archives and Special Collections Research Center.
About 123 women of the faculty met in the library at 2:30, March 16, 1922. Mrs. Stanley Coulter called the meeting to order. Mrs. A.A. Potter nominated Mrs. Coulter chairman of the meeting, carried by vote of the meeting. Mrs. Coulter, after appointing Mrs. G.A. Young to act as secretary, stated the purpose of the meeting as the bringing of the women of the university circle into an organization to promote sociability.
A number of the women spoke of the desirability of such an organization. Then it was moved that some sort of an organization be formed where-by we may come to know each other better. By a rising vote this was carried unanimously.
It was suggested that if the organization were worthwhile, it should have a constitution. Moved and carried that the chair appoint a committee to frame a constitution and present it at the next meeting. A number of names for the organization were suggested: Purdue Faculty Ladies, Faculty Woman’s Club, Purdue Woman’s Circle, Coterie, and Frolicsome Faculty Females. The general sentiment expressed was that there should be the following officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
April 7, 1922
About 125 women of the university circle met in the Lecture Room of the library. Mrs. Stanley Coulter called the meeting to order and the minutes were read and approved. Mrs. P.N. Evans, chairman of the Constitution Committee composed of Mrs. Evans, Mrs. G.I. Christie and Mrs. H.S. Creek, reported that the committee had drafted a constitution which they were ready to submit. Moved that the constitution be voted on article by article and then as a whole carried.
Mrs. Coulter made a short speech in which she spoke of the object of the club and emphasized the good fellowship and loyalty of Purdue women.
The meeting adjourned to the room across the hall where Mrs. Hepburn and the ladies of the library staff served tea from beautiful tea tables. Here a pleasant social time was spent.